Sunday 18 December 2011

HO need the hours.. pulak dahhh~

I AM a house officer in my first posting in the Orthopaedics Department of Hospital Sg Buloh. I strongly disagree with the ruling to cut down on the working hours of house officers to 60 a week and to be given two days off a week.
The housemanship programme is a training programme. Freshly recruited house officers are mostly, let’s face it, incompetent.
Two months into the programme and I still find there are a lot of things I need to learn, including even the basics.
How can we benefit from reduced working hours? It is laughable to think that with less training, one can be a better doctor.
Let’s not forget that doctors of the previous generations all survived a much more intense training programme. If they could do it, why can’t we?
And to have our parents fight for us? We, who are in our 20s? A shameful act, indeed.
We need the training. We need the scoldings and the discipline. We need to become doctors, not killers. We need much more than 60 hours a week, believe me.
Let me postulate this situation for you, the public: You have heard stories of incompetent doctors making horrible mistakes.
Imagine doctors of the future who would have had even lesser training than these incompetent doctors.
Imagine yourself needing a medical procedure and you can only turn to glorified butchers and shamans, instead of surgeons and doctors.
Just imagine.
Dr JOHAN ARIFF JUHARI,


sumber : http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp

No comments: